From GeoMonkey Wiki
Revision as of 12:47, 19 October 2010 by Wadmin
On this page we will take a look at the map that you see when you are in creator mode.
<img src="http://docs.mapwith.us/sites/default/files/help_images/creator_map.png" alt="creator map" />
- This is the map itself. If you click and hold on the map with your mouse, you will be able to drag it around. Likewise, you can zoom in or out on the map using the scroll wheel on the mouse.
- This setting limits which items are displayed on the map. By default, it is set to display all items added in the last ∞ days, which shows every item ever added. Clicking on this button will display the following across the top of the map:
<img src="http://docs.mapwith.us/sites/default/files/help_images/daylimit.png" alt="date filter" style="border:1px #333 dotted;margin-left:50px;" />
To select a different date range, just click on the corresponding link.
- <a name="show"></a>This setting limits the number of items shown on the map. By default, 50 items are shown. Clicking on the button will display the following across the top of the map:
<img src="http://docs.mapwith.us/sites/default/files/help_images/itemlimit.png" alt="item limit" style="border:1px #333 dotted;margin-left:50px;" />
To select a different limit, simply click on the corresponding link. Note that the items will still be available for viewing, but will be paged with only the specified number of items shown per page. For more information about paging, you can read about the <a href="#paging">paging controls</a> below.
- The 5 arrow buttons in the upper left corner of the map provide a way to pan the map. Clicking on the left area pans the map to the left, clicking the down arrow pans it down, etc. Note that you can also pan the map by clicking on it and dragging it with your mouse also. The button in the center returns the map to a zoomed-out view that shows the whole world on the map.
- <a name="paging" ></a>These are the paging controls that allow you to select which page of items you are looking at. It displays which page you are currently viewing and the total number of pages. To move to the next page, click the arrow on the right and to move to the previous page, click the arrow on the left.
- The vertical slider bar is for controlling the zoom level you are viewing the map at. To zoom in closer, drag the slider up with your mouse or click on the + button above the slider. To zoom out, drag the slider down with your mouse or click the - button. Note that if your mouse has a scroll wheel, you can achieve the same effect by scrolling the scroll wheel. Scrolling forward zooms in and scrolling backwards zooms out.
- Because the MapWith.Us suite of tools is based on the Google Maps API, all of our maps carry the Google logo in the lower left corner. As a side note: the provider of the map imagery is usually credited in the lower right corner of our maps.
- This button provides a toolset for embedding and sharing your map. Clicking on it will open the following:
<img src="http://docs.mapwith.us/sites/default/files/help_images/embed.png" alt="embed dialog" style="border:1px #333 dotted;margin-left:50px;" />
For more information, read our page on <a href="embed" target="_blank">embedding maps</a>.
- Occasionally things end up on maps that shouldn't be there. This button is for reporting abuse. Abuse includes: spam, or explicit, derogatory, offensive, or erroneous material. Help us keep the site enjoyable for everybody by reporting abuse when you see it. We take the quality of our users' experience seriously and will do our best to look into your report as quickly as we can.
- This control changes the opacity of the titles of map items (if the title is being displayed). A lower value makes the title more translucent and a higher value makes it harder to see through. The default level is 75%;
- This dropdown menu allows you to choose the type of the map. Currently there are 4 choices: Map, Satellite, Hybrid, and Terrain. We will briefly describe each: